Main aims of the job
- To help create a stimulating and developing activity programme to enhance the quality of life for each resident within the Home, with the activities staff.
- To organise and co-ordinate activities for active daily living for each resident individually and in groups
- To plan and organise an activities programme that will maintain interest and progression over a period of time
- Identify the needs of the collective group and individuals and tailor the activities to suit them.
- To plan and organise external outings with appropriate transport
- Identify resident activity needs and wishes through assessment, observation and discussion.
- Liaise with activities staff, residents, relatives, friends of residents and staff to ensure full knowledge of the resident’s likes, dislikes, interests, abilities and difficulties.
- Explore the most appropriate methods and resources for meeting activity needs, including group events, individual sessions, involving internal and external sources and involving community based resources.
- Plan a varied programme of activity based around the needs of the resident group using the identified sources in conjunction with Management, the activities staff and other colleagues.
- Advertise the planned programme in an appropriate manner which encourages involvement of all activities staff, residents, relatives and staff.
- Provide activities based on the planned programme in a flexible manner, allowing for necessary changes.
- Maintain written records of resident assessments, resident participation and activity evaluations in line with the Quality Manual.
- Maintain a portfolio of information, including the range of activities available within the Home and the local community.
- Regularly review resident needs, the programme of activities and levels of participation, in conjunction with Management.
- Organise theme events as required, based on local holidays, traditions, etc.
- Organise outings as appropriate, giving consideration to safety needs and staffing requirements.
- Participate in fund raising events as required.
- Some events may be outside your normal working day and it is expected that you would attend these as and when appropriate.
- To attend and participate in staff meetings and attend all mandatory training when required
- To attend supervision and appraisals ensuring that you have prepared for these when required
- To attend any other training when a need has been identified
- To assist with domestic duties in the home including cooking cleaning and laundry when the need arises
- To communicate effectively with other staff, relatives and visitors including professional agencies regarding residents
- To be fully aware of the fire policy and the awareness of food hygiene regulations
- To be familiar with all current policies and procedures and understand your duty to comply and implement them when necessary
- To wear uniform provided with plain black trousers and flat sensible shoes at all times
- Ensure that you do not use a mobile telephone while on duty
- To ensure that all information of a confidential nature gained in the course of duty is not divulged to third parties
- To keep all records of domestic work completed after each shift in the appropriate book
- Understand your duty to whistle blow if you witness bad practice or harm to a resident within the Home
- To promote and ensure the good reputation of the Home at all times, both on the premises and outside at events and external training sessions.
Health and Safety
- To ensure that you work in a safe environment in accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act
- To assist in the maintenance of a Safe and Healthy Working environment by understanding and ensuring adherence to the Homes’ Health and Safety Policy and Procedures including Fire
- To practice and promote safe working practices within the Home
- To take responsibility for your own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by your acts or omissions
- To be fully aware and comply with infection control policies and procedures and appropriate hand hygiene technique
- To report immediately to the Nurse in charge, any illness of an infectious nature or accident incurred by a resident, colleague, self or another
- To report to the Management, Maintenance man or Nurse in charge of any faults, damaged furniture, faulty appliances, equipment or any potential hazard
- The Home has adopted a NO SMOKING policy which applies to all posts within the Home. The grounds of the Home are also NO SMOKING.
- This job description is intended to give the post holder an appreciation of the role envisaged and the range of duties required. However, it is not definitive and may be subject to periodic view.
Qualifications, Training and Experience
- Basic experience is essential for this role
- To have a genuine interest for older people
- To be willing to participate in National Vocational Training Programmes
- To have good communication skills
- To have the ability to work effectively within a team environment